Lime-Curry Tofu Stir-Fry

I just made this recipe, oh, about 30 minutes ago and I thought it was so wonderful that I just couldn't wait another second to tell the world about it (or at least the web surfers who stumble across my blog). My neighbor e-mailed this recipe to me about a week ago. She found it on allrecipes.com and knew it had my name written all over it. So, credit for this one goes to "kprzy" who submitted this recipe to the site. Anyway, the flavors in this dish are just AWESOME and so complimentary of each other. Spicy, creamy, sweet, and bold. Also, I want all of you coconut haters out there to know NOT to be afraid of coconut milk. I'm not a hater, but I know lots of people who don't like coconut and might be wary of something like this. Fear not- the coconut flavor really is super mild, and it's more the creaminess than anything else that you'll be taking from the coconut milk. Also, I think the flavors of the other ingredients kind of off-set the sweetness of the coconut anyway. Well, enough about that! You'll love this. Promise.

Ingredients
(Serves 4)


2 tbsp. peanut oil
1 (16 oz.) package extra-firm tofu,
cut into bite-sized cubes
1 tbsp. minced fresh ginger
2 tbsp. red curry paste
1 lb. zucchini, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
3 tbsp. lime juice
3 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. maple syrup
1 (14 oz.) can coconut milk
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil

1. Heat the peanut oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add the tofu and stir-fry until golden brown. Remove the tofu and set aside, leaving the remaining oil in the wok.

Mmm... Golden tofu....


2. Stir the ginger and curry paste into the hot oil for a few seconds until the curry paste is fragrant and the ginger begins to brown. Add the zucchini and bell pepper. Cook and continue to stir for 1 minute.

3. Stir in the lime juice, soy sauce, maple syrup, cocnut milk, and tofu. (Warning: It's a little scary when you dump all the coconut milk in because it's A LOT and it will appear as though all of your other ingredients are drowning in some kind of weird soup. Don't be alarmed - after about 10 minutes of simmering, it becomes perfect). Bring the coconut milk to a simmer, and cook about 10-15 more minutes. The vegetables should be tender and the tofu should be hot. Stir in the chopped basil just before serving.



I opted to serve this over rice and I suggest you do the same. I can't wait to re-experience this dish via leftovers at lunch time tomorrow!

2 comments:

Elizabeth Bond said...

This looks super yummy! I can't wait to try it! xo

Unknown said...

PS: You've been given an award!